St. Aloysius ITI – MSFS Visakhapatnam
St. Aloysius Industrial Training Institute – The St. Aloysius Industrial School and Workshop on the Beach Road of Visakhapatnam, began imparting Industrial training (ITI Course) from 1978.Fr. George Pakumala MSFS was instrumental in obtaining permission and permanent recognition for the ITI. In 1979 he also got it permanently affiliated to the N.C.V.T. (National Council for Vocational Training).
A Short Brief About St. Aloysius ITI
In 1971, Fr. George Pakumala had purchased 13 acres of land at Autonagar to shift the ITI from the Beach Road. In 1984, the ITI was shifted to this spacious campus. Fr. Mathew Kavithazha, Bros. Thomas Malapuram, Michael Chalapat, Joseph Vellamattam and the late TingaMasnickaRao were instrumental in the completion of the construction of the two worshops. On 18th August 1986, these two workshops were blessed by Very Rev. Fr. Emile Mayoraz, the Superior General of the Missionaries of St. Francis De Sales. In January 1987, it became autonomous with Fr. Paul Kunnumpuram as its Manager and Bro. Sebastian Kanjirathoungal as the Principal. The centre now has a large complex of five workshops. A hostel which can accommodate 40 trainees, a two-society administrative block, class rooms, staff room, library and store room were added by Fr. Joseph Vichat. The residence for MSFS confreres was built by Fr. Ignatius Puthur and Bro. Varghese Mukalel MSFS. In 2007 Fr. Pinninti Babu Raj MSFS took over as manager and principal of the institute.
Boys who have completed 10th or 12th standard are admitted for training. Preference is given to economically backward candidates. The Centre offers theoretical and practical training in the following trades, Viz., Welder (1Year), Fitter (2 Years), Electrician (2 Years) Turner (2 Years), and Motor Mechanic (2 Years). Qualified and experienced staff with well-equipped workshop labs provides the best training to the students to make them skilled workers. Each year 160 students undergo training and qualify themselves through the All India Trade Test. An advanced training in TIG & MIG welding technology is also offered for those who seek better prospects in India and abroad. This Training Centre is one of the best institutions in Visakhapatnam district. Students come also from the district of Srikakulam. The Directorate of Employment and Training, New Delhi, with its regional office in the State, is monitoring authority of the institute. The centre is recognized as a minority institution to cater to the needs of the Christians.
S.F.S. Hostel, attached to the Training Centre offers free lodging facility for all those who would like to seek accommodation here. Fr. Shantha Kumar, the warden, motivates and facilitates the integral growth of the students. Extensive playgrounds are also available for recreation and Physical Education. However, it is not a time to be complacent with the achievements of the past. We need to look forward to new frontiers in the field of technical education in order to make the institution more relevant to the rapidly changing needs of the modern society.
Some Details About The Centre
- Apostolates at the Centre – Innovative Ministry – Skill development, Industrial training, vocational courses
- Number of confreres at present – Three (Two Priests and a Senior Brother and a Regent Brother)
- People benefitting from it – Mostly poor and lower middle class boys
- Infrastructure – Sufficient at present but needs to be improved for the future of the institute
- Financial Status – Dependent to Just sufficient
- Remarks – There is need to train more people in this line and continue the service. Canteen, Dining Hall etc. facilities are lacking. Polytechnic could be started in future. Soft skills like computer, spoken English, tailoring.
- Suggestions and comments for its future – Modernize the ITIto the present needs. Send Confreres for Technical studies and prepare them for this Institute. Painting the building is the need of the hour.